Ex-Sacramento Kings exec gets 7 years for siphoning $13.4M

SAN FRANCISCO — A former top Sacramento Kings executive was sentenced Monday to seven years in prison for siphoning $13.4 million from the team.

Jeffrey David, 44, the team's former chief revenue officer, pleaded guilty in December to wire fraud and aggravated identity theft.

David diverted the sponsorship payments of five companies to a bank account he controlled from October 2012 through July 2016, using the money to buy and remodel Southern California beachfront properties, pay for a private jet membership and pay off credit card bills.

"The brazen scheme involved forgeries, stolen corporate executive identities, money laundering and even instructing a former colleague to destroy evidence," U.S. Attorney McGregor W. Scott said in a statement. "Today's sentence should deter others from committing substantial frauds such as this one."

David's lawyer, Mark Reichel, disagreed with the sentence from U.S. District Judge William Shubb.

"We see no appropriate purpose served by a sentence this lengthy," Reichel wrote in an email, citing David's "tremendous life work" before and after his crimes as cause for a reduced sentence.

"The Kings received back every single penny of the previously purloined money, and Mr. David worked very hard to make sure that happened. He is tremendously remorseful," Reichel said.

The Kings have received over $13.2 million in restitution to date, according to the Department of Justice.

David is scheduled to begin his sentence on Aug. 20.

Related News

US: 45,000 Islamic State fighters taken off battlefields

Aug 11, 2016

A top U.S. commander says that the military campaigns against the Islamic State group in Iraq and Syria have taken 45,000 enemy combatants off the battlefield

Families say Colorado men killed fighting ISIS shared traits

Aug 11, 2016

Two men who were reportedly killed while fighting the Islamic State group in Syria left suburban Denver neighborhoods for a warzone because of camaraderie and an unshakeable drive to right an injustice, their families said Wednesday

2 previous force complaints against academy shooting officer

Aug 11, 2016

The officer who shot and killed a 73-year-old retired librarian during a police academy class resigned from his previous department shortly after two excessive force complaints were filed against him, according to records released Thursday

The Expert Features reports on the issues and the world’s everyday news. Handled by experts in different niches, you will find different subjects and perspectives.