Russian firm pleads not guilty to election meddling charge

Attorneys Eric Dubelier, right, and Katherine Seikaly, left, representing Concord Management and Consulting LLC, walk out of federal court in Washington, Wednesday, May 9, 2018, after pleading not guilty on behalf of the company, which has been charged as part of a conspiracy to meddle in the 2016 US presidential election. (AP Photo/Andrew Harnik)

A Russian company charged as part of a conspiracy to meddle in the 2016 presidential election has pleaded not guilty in federal court in Washington

WASHINGTON — A Russian company accused of funding a conspiracy to meddle in the 2016 presidential election pleaded not guilty Wednesday in federal court in Washington.

The court appearance was the first by any of the Russian defendants accused by special counsel Robert Mueller of participating in a covert social media campaign aimed in part at helping Donald Trump defeat Hillary Clinton. The indictment against the company, Concord Management and Consulting LLC, and 15 other defendants was the first brought by Mueller's team to directly attach criminal charges to Russian attempts to interfere in the election.

The company is controlled by Yevgeny Prigozhin, a wealthy businessman who was placed on a U.S. sanctions list earlier this year and who has ties to Russian President Vladimir Putin.

During a brief afternoon hearing, attorney Eric Dubelier, who represents the company, entered the not guilty plea to one count of conspiracy to defraud the United States, but neither Prigozhin nor a company representative appeared.

Dubelier told U.S. Magistrate Judge G. Michael Harvey that he did not represent any other defendants, including Prigozhin or another company identified as "Concord Catering," which he said didn't exist during the time period laid out in the indictment.

"We're dealing with the government indicting the proverbial ham sandwich," Dubelier said, referring to the inclusion of the other company in the indictment.

In response, Mueller's prosecutors revealed that they had reviewed documents submitted by the company's attorneys filed with the Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Control, which administers U.S. sanctions. Those documents, they said, showed Dubelier's law firm represented both companies.

Prigozhin — who has been referred to as "Putin's chef" because his restaurants and catering businesses have hosted the Russian president — and 12 other Russians are personally charged in the indictment. It lays out a broad conspiracy that prosecutors say was carried out by the Internet Research Agency, a Russian social media troll farm, to sow discord in the U.S. political system from 2014 through 2017. Concord is accused of overseeing and providing millions of dollars in funding to the troll farm.

None of the other Russian defendants appeared in court Wednesday.

"Alas, they are not here," prosecutor Jeannie Rhee told Harvey. "The government would be thrilled if they were here."

___

Related News

US: 45,000 Islamic State fighters taken off battlefields

Aug 11, 2016

A top U.S. commander says that the military campaigns against the Islamic State group in Iraq and Syria have taken 45,000 enemy combatants off the battlefield

Families say Colorado men killed fighting ISIS shared traits

Aug 11, 2016

Two men who were reportedly killed while fighting the Islamic State group in Syria left suburban Denver neighborhoods for a warzone because of camaraderie and an unshakeable drive to right an injustice, their families said Wednesday

2 previous force complaints against academy shooting officer

Aug 11, 2016

The officer who shot and killed a 73-year-old retired librarian during a police academy class resigned from his previous department shortly after two excessive force complaints were filed against him, according to records released Thursday

Broaden

The Expert Features reports on the issues and the world’s everyday news. Handled by experts in different niches, you will find different subjects and perspectives.

Contact us: sales[at]expertfeatures.com